Sponsoring Parents & Grand Parents
“ Canadian citizens and permanent residents may bring their parents and grandparents to Canada through one of two popular programs: Family Class sponsorship and/or the Super Visa program“
NOTE: The Parent and Grandparent Program will reopen on January 3, 2017, with a cap of 10,000 new and complete applications.
The Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Successful parents and grandparents under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may be able to apply for Canadian Citizenship four years thereafter.
Sponsors will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship and they must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years.
Super Visa Program
The Super Visa Program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada as long-term visitors. Successful applicants receive multiple-entry visitor visas that may last for up to 10 years. Unlike standard visitor visas, which must be renewed every six months, a Super Visa remains valid for two years at a time.
- The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older;
- The sponsor must exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included);
- The sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 years, if necessary; and
- If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional “undertaking” must be signed.
Parents and grandparents must meet standard visitor visa requirements. In addition, they must:
- Provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada;
- Show that the sponsor in Canada meets minimum income requirements;
- Prove they have purchased Canadian health insurance for at least one year; and
- Complete an immigration medical examination.
Depending on the nationality, parents/grandparents may require a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to the Super Visa.
For more information please call or write
June 9, 2021
April 27, 2021
Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer